SHELTON, Conn. — It's the last full weekend before Christmas, which means it's time to hit fields if you want to cut your own Christmas tree.
Did you get your Christmas tree yet?
No, but we are heading out this weekend
No, it's too soon
No, we have an artificial tree
No, we don't set up a Christmas tree
For many fans of the cut-your-own activity, that means it's time to head to the Jones Family Farms in Shelton.
The popular farm has been around for more than 150 years and continues to be one of the 'go-to' places in the area for Christmas trees.
Visitors can roam the more than 200 acres and cut their own trees, or buy one already cut, as well as purchase wreaths, garland, bows and much more.
During the Christmas season, the parking lot fills with cars, and celebrities have been spotted picking up their holiday trees and wreaths. Filmmaker Spike Lee stopped by a few years ago, and both Martha Stewart and Bobby Flay have filmed segments of holiday specials on the grounds. Gov. Dannel Malloy says he has shopped at Jones Family Farms since his days as Stamford mayor.
The Jones Winery Tasting Room, open daily from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. through Dec. 23, is also a popular stop. Full wine tastings will be offered on weekday afternoons from noon to 5 p.m.
Also, the Tasting Room is transformed into a beautiful holiday gift shop, filled with trees, ornaments, and holiday gifts.
If you've never cut your own tree, this might be the year — and the weekend to do it. Temperatures will be in the mid-40s under partly sunny skies – making it easier to brave a day in the great outdoors.
For more info visit www.jonesfamilyfarms.com or call 203.929.8425.
It's not the only place in Fairfield County to get a cut your own Christmas tree. Here's a list of some other places, culled from the Pick Your Own Christmas Tree website . Call ahead before heading out, with opening day and hours varying this season:
- Audubon Society H. Smith Richardson Tree Farm, Sasco Creek Road, Westport. Phone: 203-623-0646.
- Bob's Tree Farm, 66-68 Turkey Plain Road, Route 53, Bethel. Phone: 203-241-3450.
- Castle Hill Farm, 25 Sugar Lane, Newtown. Phone: 203-426-5487.
- Everett's Corner Tree Farm, 136 Sherwood Road, Easton. Phone: 203-268-2508.
- Fairview Tree Farm, 486 Walnut Tree Hill Road, Shelton. Phone: 203-944-9090.
- Four Corners Farm, 55 Hattertown Road, Newtown. Phone: 203-426-5532.
- Gordon's Tree Farm, 488 Sport Hill Road, Easton. Phone: 203-261-Tree.
- High View Tree Farm, 95 Turkey Plain Road, Bethel. Phone: 203 313-9556.
- Longview Tree Farm, 11 Tunnel Road, Newtown. Phone: 203-426-2701.
- Maple Row Tree Farm, 538 North Park Avenue, Easton. Phone: 203-261-9577.
- Medridge Tree Farm, 113 Walnut Tree Hill Road, Sandy Hook. Phone: 203-426-9178.
- Paradise Tree Farm, 224 Lonetown Road, West Redding. Phone: 203-938-2490 or 203-241-9221.
- Sam's Tree Farm, 138 Huntingtown Road, Newtown. Phone: 203-426-2170.
- Silverman's Farm, 451 Sport Hill Road, Easton. Phone: 203-261-3306.
- Snow's Farm, 550 Sport Hill Road, Easton. Phone: 203-261-2020.
- Staib Tree Farm, 49 Walnut Hill Road, Bethel. Phone: 203-748-1610.
- Wells Hollow Farm, 656 Bridgeport Ave, Shelton. Phone: 203-926-0524.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.